Skip to main content
Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New service to tackle homelessness
redimanager
#1 Posted : 01 February 2010 15:10:41(UTC)

A new supported housing scheme to tackle homelessness in the Borough has been praised by its tenants.

Well House, in Gresham Drive, Chadwell Heath, has nine self contained flats and aims to tackle homelessness by giving residents support and advice service to help break the cycle.

Tenants are referred to the centre from the Borough’s two single homelessness projects, Redbridge Night Shelter and the Welcome Centre. The nine tenants moved in after its opening in November this year and have praised the service for its support.

One resident said, "I feel my opinions are listened to and valued” while another commented, "This is an opportunity that comes up once in your life”. A fellow resident commented on the support services adding, "I am very satisfied and enjoy working with all the staff".

The opening of Well House is an important milestone in the Redbridge Places of Change Partnership and the Council’s Supporting People programme. It is run by Look Ahead Housing & Care. In addition to providing a place to stay for up to two years, tenants are provided with a range of support including access to college courses and employment training, advice with budget management and finances, help with applying for benefits if eligible and a range of information and support tailored to their individual needs.

The support service on offer aims to ensure tenants can develop skills to live independently within the two years. Each of the nine units is a self-contained flat with facilities and Look Ahead provide support on site seven days a week.

Well House is one of three projects in Redbridge that are part of the Government’s Places of Change programme to help improve accommodation, training and employment opportunities for local homeless people.

Read the story in full here
Rss Feed  Atom Feed